[vdr] Re: hardware 19" 4HU

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:33:21 +0200, Karlheinz.Pischke@t-online.de
(Karlheinz Pischke) wrote:

> There is no way to substitue a IDE Chassis by a DVD.

Ok, that is important information.

> Would be the same issue. I use 3Ware 7850 controlers which have hardware
> support for RAID5. Especially for RAID5 it makes a huge difference if
> you do it in hardware or software !

I think it isn't so important for VDR because the necessary data rate
isn't very high. I currently run 7 80 MB as Raid5 with the md driver and
everything works fine even I remove one disk. I would have choosen the
SX6000 only because it has 6 IDE channels for Raid5. I have to put in 4
DVB cards and two SX6000 controllers. The planned motherboard is the
GA-8IRXP. But I am still in the state of investigation.

> May be it is more useful for you and others to use external drive cases
> with an integrated SCSI2IDE controler - like you get from Starline or
> Transtec. Both offer solution with 12 drives.

The problem is the price. This costs at least 2-3 times per GB more than
an integrated solution. And I would like to upgrade step by step. First
I would integrate 6 of my 80 GB Maxtors and then upgrade storage space
step by step as the demand grows.

The firewire disks of Maxtor also work fine. I have a 160 GB personal
storage for backup. The problem is that you currently pay a premium for
this disks. May be we have to wait for Serial-ATA here. But If I count
together what the new system would cost, in spite of the old working
fine except for the storage space, I am still hesitating to invest and
think of alternatives. ;-)

If I add at least one 160 GB Firewire disk to the current system and use
it only for temporary storage and leave all permanent recordings on the
Raid5 I am pretty sure that this helps for the next few month.

Has someone running Firewire disks with Linux?

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index