[vdr] Re: My experience with Maxtor 160GB, LVM, XFS

Am 29 Apr 2002 16:45:06 schrieb(en) Steve Davies:
> Hi,
>
> I've just finished adding a Maxtor 160GB drive to my video system and
> thought I'd post my experience in case it helps others.
>
> My motherboard is an Asus with the Promise controller on board to provide
> extra IDE channels.
>
> Before the upgrade I had 3 drives and one DVD - 20G system disk and the
> DVD on the primary and secondary IDE,  75GB and a 60GB 75GXP drives on
> the
> two Promise channels.
>
> I used LVM 0.9 to concatenate the two big drives and XFS for the file
> system.  Kernel was 2.4.10 with LVM, XFS, various other patches.
>
> Thanks to this list, I knew that the 160GB drive will need the IDE
> patch with LBA48 support.  Because I couldn't find this patch for 2.4.10,
> I was forced to upgrade.
>
> I went to 2.4.18.  I was able to patch that fine with the ide patch for
> 2.4.18-rc1 without any visible ill effects.  I also patched with the
> latest LVM 1.0.3 and with xfs 1.1.  For my analogue video I also made the
> recommended patches from www.bytesex.org to support current bttv/bttv2.
>
> I'm happy to provide jumbo-patch of all this relative to stock 2.4.18 if
> anyone wants that - drop me a line.
>
> On the hardware side I did make two discoveries:  First is that the
> Promise controller cannot support the big drive - it sees only 128GB of
> the drive.  Secondly - the Promise controller does not support the ATAPI
> DVD drive either.

Do you have a recent Promise Bios?
Some weeks ago we had Problems with a Promise PDC20265 (on a MSI-6321
Mainboard).
We put a new Bios onto this machine(including a new Promise-Bios Build)
The Bios-Changelog also mentioned support for drives bigger than 128G on
promise channels...

Can you try this?
Christian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index