[vdr] Re: What about an passive mode of VDR?

At 13:05 03.05.2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>What about a mode where the DVB-driver is unloaded?
>I think to mute the output is not a good solution.
>
>- Channels quote with the number of spectotors to determine if the
>   film/serial is good or not, and if the driver is always loaded
>   the qoutes of "not really looked" channels increase.

So you think Big Brother's watching you? No - these quotas are determined
by a few 1000 households which have special hardware. I don't know if that
hardware is still manual, but it used to be. When you are one of these
"quota people" you have to 'check in' when you start to watch TV and 'check
out' when you're done. While checking in you have to specify the channel
you're watching.

Maybe in the meantime there's some more automation, but noone can tell what
you're watching right now - how should that work in your opinion?

>- The more severe reason is that if I look for example 6 hours
>   TV per day, but the driver is loaded always the lifetime of
>   the LNB and the DVB card would be decreased to 1/4.

Well, the driver doesn't make the difference turning off the power of your
computer does.

...I thought, April Fool's day is the 1st of April, not the 3rd of may...  ;-)

Cheers,
        Bernd

Home | Main Index | Thread Index