[vdr] Re: DirectFB, OST, VDR-Console ?

> Unfortunately i haven't tried it because of some problems with my Matrox
> G400.

Hmm..that is the best supported card according to their web-page.

> Nevertheless i think using DirectFB would be much more flexible than the
> TV-Output of the DVBs. But i'm afraid that such a project will never be a
> successfull as the VDR project is, because user who want's to use VDR wil

I have no intents to replace VCR !!! I even could not do it, even if I
wanted so ;-). The last days I have been thinking about some menuing
system for my MultiMedia-Server, which not only runs VDR but also MAME
and other emulators, Internet radio. I want to enhance it by
VideoLAN and a local icecast server and such....Now I want to get rid of
the typical desktop interface and have something, that matches more the
environent (usually TV or networked clients).

> buy a DVBs card and than all hardware requirements are fullfilled.
> With DirectFB one has to have or buy a good DirectFB supported graphics c
> ard
> too.

Not sure about that. People who only use VDR might think so, people who
use their computer to substitute all of their A/V equipment might be
interested. I guess it would "kick ass" (dude et all) if one would have
some OST (http://www.ostdev.net) system, which uses Mozilla, running on
DirectFB and coupled with MacroMedia Flash menus or so ;-)

> Such a system would require not much more power than a regular VDR box i
> guess. And for some applications the system load would be lower, especial

Well, it is an ordinary PC dedicated to a certain task. My MM-Box has a
soundcard, a gfx-card, two HDD, a DVD-ROM, a CDRW and the DVB-s. That is
all.

> ly
> when using DivX as prevered archive format (no need to encode to MPEG1).

DivX is my only concern. I would like to use it but even a dual Xeon
system at 2GHz does a bit better than realtime only if memory serves me
right.

--
Bye, Andreas

http://www.gmx.net