[vdr] Re: Is a Network fast enough ?

Hi there :)

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 09:22, Axel Gruber wrote:
> Hi ML
>
> After a Hardware-Crash (Mainboard) i have to rebuild my VDR in my
> Living-Room completly new.
>
> At the Moment i use 2 VDRīs:
>
> 1 in the Livingroom: 4DVB-s CArdīs + 7 Harddrives
> 1 in the "Dachboden": 3 DVB-S Cardīs + 10 Harddrives (with a
> RF-Transfmitter for Sleeping-Room and Working-Room)

Wow... I think with this equipment you'll never miss anything, eh ? ;))

> Now i think about to bann the Harddrives of the new Living-Room VDR in a
> small cheap "server" wich stay in the "dachboden" and only the 4 DVB-S
> cardīs in the newVDR but iīm not sure if the Network ist fast enough to do
> 3 Recordings and 1 Reply at the same time.

That highly depends on the streams you want to record. Assuming you're using
an 100MBit/s network, it should *theoretically* be possible to handle 3
recordings at once, each with a Bandwith of approx. 2.3 MBit/s, but I suspect
this to be not very reliable. Any other interfering network traffic could
result in visible and/or audible glitches...

I successfully did 2 recordings at a time via network with no losses.

> Does anyone have a  configuration like this,  wich works well ?

I had this configuration for a few days and with the limitations mentioned
above it did it's job quite well.

> Second Question:
>
> Does anyone use a AMD for his VDR ? i think about to use a 1,x Duron for
> this new VDR system - or shuld i use a Intel again ?

I have an 1.2 GHz Duron in my VDR box which is absolutely sufficient on
doing 3 recordings at once or 2 recordings and a time shifted view...
Even 2 recordings and a DVD / MP3 / divX playback at the same time is
no problem at all...

> Thirs Question:
>
> Does anyone use a DVD-R Device (ide) with a Firewire External Case + Linux
> - to burn DVD-Rīs ?
>

> CU
>
> Axel
>

> PS: Network ist completly 100mbit full duplex and switched

- --
with best regards
- ---
Karsten Mueller
Softwaredevelopment / Keyaccount Manager
RATIO Entwicklungen GmbH
Admiralitaetstr. 59
20459 Hamburg
Email: mailto:kmu@ratio.de