[vdr] Re: feature suggestion

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 10:11, gfiala@s.netic.de wrote:
> > I thought about this at some point when I was looking into STB-type
> > timeshifting. The problem was that in the current state of affairs, VDR
> > is not involved in handling the MPEG stream when viewing live (unless
> > you are using transfer mode for some reason, e.g. watching an encrypted
> > channel). So you would have to force VDR into transfer mode for all
> > live
> > watching, buffer the stream, and handle instant replays. It mgiht not
> > be
> > too much actual new code, but I'm not sure I want to "sacrifice" my
> > budget card for this feature (of course it should be configurable, and
> > maybe disabled automatically if a timer is triggered...).
>
> Is this required? One could simply buffer the stream in parallel and only jump
> to transfer mode if you actually want to go back. Not even if you dump the
> buffer to disk.

Once you press your instant replay button, VDR would start replaying the
stream from the beginning of the buffered data. At the same time VDR
would start recording the live stream to a file and you would be using
two cards.

I agree with you that it would be more elegant to buffer the stream
while watching with a single card, but eventually you would need the
second card anyhow, otherwise you would loose that part of the stream
that you missed when watching the instant replay.

--
  ! Lauri

Home | Main Index | Thread Index