[vdr] Re: new DVD plugin version released

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Andreas Schultz wrote:
>
>>Lauri Tischler wrote:

>>>NEWSTRUCT defined on VDR Makefile is not inherited to plugin Makefile.
>>>Now you need to redefine NEWSTRUCT=1 on dvd plugin Makefile.
>>
>>plugin Makefile's do not inherit anything from vdr's Makefile. But you
>>should not need to edit any Makefile for the 'NEWSTRUCT=1' define. Just
>>compile vdr and the plugins like this 'make NEWSTRUCT=1 REMOTE=LIRC all
>>plugins'.
>>
>>@Klaus: what about switching to automake and autoconf ... ?
>

> Well, frankly I hate them. They do tons of things I have no idea of what
> exactly they do and tend to create unreadable Makefiles.

thats the reason you have automake, so you don't have to be bothered
with the unreadable Makefiles. I have found that autoconf/make can be a
great help for large projects and also when you need to autodetect
thinks before compilation.
For vdr itself it would be helpfull to detect some thinks, like DVBDIR
and NEWSTRUCT automagicaly, for the DVD plugin thinks like library
locations, theyre include paths and DJBFFT would be helpfull.....
Actually, it should be possible to write a relly small configure script
to figure out those things without the autoconf/make overhead and
Makefile complexity.

> I prefer to have a hand-written Makefile.
>
> Besides, as far as I could see the NEWSTRUCT=1 parameter you give to the
> VDR make call *does* get through to the plugin makefiles after the
> recent change I made in that area (in version 1.1.11).

Yep, but i believe she edit vdr's Makefile and entered the paramter
there, or i completly misunderstud the original mail.

Andreas