[vdr] Re: Plugin & Diseqc Question to Klaus & all

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> R> if I switch from say Pro7 to RTL (meaning the same satellite), I
> R> don`t have to wait the 52 seconds. How come?
>
> K>The DiSEqC commands are only sent if they are actually different.
>
> Aha, that explains that (and maybe my problem) If the DVB drivers
> only send the 22kHz tone on/off commands once and the motor
> garbles it, then the LNB wouldn't switch. IŽll see if I can integrate
> the tone command into the channel switch somehow so that it sends
> it after the motor has reached the final position.

The 22kHz signal is nothing that is "sent" once. It is either _on_ or
_off_. So it shouldn't matter where the 'T' is. Once executing the DiSEqC
command string has come by a 'T', the 22kHz tone is turned on and stays on
(until a 't' is encountered). I would be surprised if moving the tone command
processing somewhere else would change anything.

> K>Well, I don't know why you do or don't need the 'T'. This simply
> K>controls the 22kHz tone.
>
> Yes, I understood that, but maybe the 22kHz never reaches the LNB
> due to motor movement. It might also be that the motor actually
> switches the LNB off during movement as the DiSEqC specs say
> a maximum of 500mA to any diseqc registered product. By switching
> the LNB off, they save current and prevent pops, clicks and other
> glitches while the motor is moving (YOU turn Pids off in VDR,
> but maybe some elcheapo receivers don't) and from annoying the
> viewer. My Nokia goes black during the motor movement, so
> maybe the LNB is really switched off.

Are you saying that the motor draws its entire current from the LNB
power? I would have assumed that it has its own power supply any only
reacts on the control signals passed through the LNB cable. Driving a motor
must require quite a current - drawing this out of my DVB-S card would really
scare me...

Maybe you need to switch the voltage to "high" (i.e. 'V') in order to get
enough power to your motor, but then again you wouldn't be able to tune while
the motor is running.

Klaus