[vdr] Re: converting vdr to mpeg does not work

Hello Oliver,

On Sunday, 17. November 2002, 19:01:07, you wrote:

> tried to recode it with tmpgenc, to get a resultion of about 320x288
Why this size? If you try to make an SVCD or a VCD, the 480x576
resolution is just fine and since you calculate a whole CD per episode
you would gain no quality by using a smaller picture. A normal
79min-CD has enough space to keep the bitrate sufficently high
for a single episode, although I recommend using 2-pass mode in TMPEG.
But if you just want to store it for viewing on the PC, wouldn't a
format like DivX or Xvid be better (e.g. smaller at almost keeping
quality)?

> (the half of pal), but it can not read the format. i have no
> idea why. then i tried to convert the .vdr to divx, with mplayer. it
TMPEG can't read MPEG2-files due to licensing reasons, IIRC. The
easiest solution would be to process the MPEG2-files with DVD2AVI,
which produces a .d2v project-file TMPEG can read. It also spits
out an audio-file ending .mpa which TMPEG can read directly.
Personally I prefer using DVD2AVI in combination with AviSynth2,
because it has many filters for post-processing, noise-filters, you
can do even non-linear editing with it. It has no GUI, it's a
scripting language, but worth learning. But in any case I can
recommend searching http://doom9.org for guides and above mentioned
programs and don't forget looking in the forums. That's where I
learned most about MPEG2 post-processing.

--
With kind regards,
 Matthias                            mailto:pyron@t-online.de