[vdr] Re: HowTo prevent VDR from filling root system ?

Helmut Auer <vdr@helmutauer.de> wrote:

> By accident vdr filled the root system of a vdrbox which I have to maintain :-)
> The problem was that the mount for /video2 does not work so VDR recorded to
> /video2 and so the root partition runs out of free space.
> Is there a way to say VDR something like:

- don't run VDR as root
- use a separate file system
- when creating the file system, use the -m option to reserve as much space
  to root as you want.

If you run VDR as root there is nothing to prevent VDR from filling up
/video (denial of service attack ;-)

You could add some code to runvdr or whatever you use to start VDR to check
whether /video is actually a mount or not. A simple df shows you what's
there. If it's the root fs, ... you get the idea. A problem may arise if
you use the automounter to mount /video via NFS, and the mount fails for
some reason. Better mount hard,intr via /etc/fstab.

--
If it's Tuesday, this must be someone else's fortune.