[vdr] Re: VDR and sync problems on low signal strength

Hi Joerg,

>Hi,
>yesterday, there was heavy storm and rain in Germany.
>This caused a lot of artefacts, breaks and errors in picture.

@Oliver, Klaus: This was NOT my problem on the RTL
thread by the way. My signal degrades very little even if
there is snow or rain plastering down hard.

>Is it possible to implement a re-tuning mechanism that
>retunes a channel if there are too many data stream errors
>or if the signal strength is below a certain value?

This would be great, BUT on what would you (or have VDR)
base the job on?

Neither signal strength nor (better choice) BER (BitErrorRate)
is implemented for ALL tuners in the DVB code. Convergence
has not yet added this to all tuners. You (as a private person)
won't get any info on which I2C registers you have to "pull" to
implement this. (Inserting the code into the DVB driver is just
seconds of work) . This is the reason why Klaus hasn't
implemented such features. It just doesn't work with every
DVB card.

My TDA8083 can do SS, SNR & I implemented (thru trial and
error and I  am NOT sure if I really hit the right register) BER.
I didn't get UNC to work. The outputs (i.e numbers) of the
NEWSTRUCT & HEAD drivers is *quite* a bit different than
of the old drivers.

If you are willing to experiment, download the 1.1.17mod
from my website. My FE implementation checks what your
tuner can and what hasn't been implemented or doesn't work.

Max Info you can get is:

SS: Signalstrength % & dBm and as a colored bar
SNR: Signal(better carrier) to Noise Ratio in %, dB and as a colored bar
BER: Bit Error Rate: as a number and a colored bar
UNC: Uncorrectable Blocks: number & colored bar

Your choice of ouput on the OSD, on the console, both or none
This will find its way into my modded 1.2 stable.

However, the tuning thread on the 1.1.20 runs all the time, so
(Klaus?) it should retune on it's own anyway, in case it looses
sync. What version are you running? If not 1.1.20, then give
it a shot. During testing I tried all sorts of stuff to trick it,
but it worked w/o a hitch. I could disconnect the LNB, wait
30-40 seconds and reattach it and the picture appeared right
away. This was one of the big break throughs which Klaus
accomplished.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---