[vdr] Re: Finding channels

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Georg Hitsch wrote:

>Hi Jan!
>

>On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to find the cable channel data for channels.conf if it's
>> not included in the downloaded versions? I've tried for hours to fiddle
>> with "dvbtune", "dtv_scan" and a host of different versions of the
>> DVB-driver, and I have given up. Nothing even seems to give at least a
>> sense of hope, and I feel that the 300¤ for the card were thrown down the
>> drain. VDR itself compiles and runs fine, at least it doesn't seem to log
>> any crashes. The DVB drivers (all versions) compile fine and insmod
>> without any visible problems, so the hardware seems to be ok:ish.
>
>Have you tried to use a Windows-DVB-Software - does this work?
>(if this works, you can have look there for the parameters)

I have no Windows machines. Can't afford to buy Windows.

>Are you sure, the cable-programs are unencrypted?

Yes. We have 10 channels that are free-to-air, ie. public TV. Then there
is of course additional pay channels, but I'm not interested in those at
the moment.

>Do you know anyone in your area, who has a cable-DVB-box, and can let you
>know the data-parameter (frequencies, etc.)?

No. I think I'm the first in this town with a card, and I've never heard
of anyone else having digital TV (as a set-top box). This is the
Meidval Dark Woods, you know. :) The parameters I know are those given by
the cable company, ie. 8 values for MHz and symbol rate and some QAM.
Those 8 values are somehow supposed to be all digital radio and TV
channels in the cable network.

--

   Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
                                            -- Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms