[vdr] Re: Finding channels

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Lauri Pesonen wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 04:02:56PM +0200, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>>
>> That solves it. It can't be done in Finland. Thanks for all the help guys
>> and girls, it was an interesting ride!
>
>Sure it can. I've been using VDR for almost a year now in Helsinki in the
>HTV network. All bouquets except one are QAM_128. Granted, the QAM_64
>bouquet works a lot smoother than the QAM_128 bouquets. I'm using the old
>struct driver from October and VDR 1.0.4.

Our cable provider has lousy information about what is in which "bouquet",
so I have no idea what to look for. I've flamed them about the issue, so
we'll see if they provide some more info. After all, we pay for their
services, so they had better serve me well.

So QAM_128 doesn't really work too well?

>Your problem was that you couldn't find any services? Grab dvbtune from
>sourceforge and use the -i option to look for the service information.
>IIRC dvbtune could generate a channels.conf file from the SI tables. Do
>that for each bouquet separately. I would suggest you'd try the old driver
>at first. There have been a bunch of patches on the linux-dvb mailing list
>for QAM_128 stuff to the new driver. Once you get something working start
>playing around with the new struct driver.

Can't get it to output anything useful at all, more than something that I
interpret as there is some kind of signal:

hex:/usr/src/dvb/dvbtune# ./dvbtune -i -f 162000000 -s 6900 -qam 128
Using DVB card "VES1820 based DVB-C frontend"
tuning DVB-C to 162000000, srate=6900000
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 650
Signal strength: 57825
SNR: 60138
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC

Usually we just get something like:

FE_STATUS: FE_TIMEDOUT

The presence of those other FE_xxx status flags makes me believe it should
have found something there.

Hmm, is the DVB driver really as unstable as people here make me believe?
For some folks some specific version works, then the next version is
broken and then some other version works again? Would it be better to let
this whole thing gather dust for a few years and try again when the driver
has stabilised?

--
           "Right, you bastards, you're... you're geography"
                                         -- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!