[vdr] Re: Mux A / Channel 5 UK DVB-T broken with VDR, dvbstream works...

Gregor Lawatscheck wrote:

> There appears to be a bug handling MPEG streams from the UK DVB-T Multiplex
> A (mux A) with vdr. I've tested versions 1.0.4, 1.1.13, 1.1.16 and 1.1.20
> with the old and NEWSTRUCT drivers. All other Multiplexes are fine (both
> QAM16 and QAM 64 ones).
>
> Mux A in the UK most importantly carries Channel 5 (C5) and (up until Jan
> 13) Sky News and no matter how good a tuning I manage to adjust, I get
> constant cut-outs in the stream. It's not the usual blockiness or freeze in
> the picture when the reception is bad but it looks more like some of the
> pictures are repeated in succession (syncing problem? buffer?). The
> cut-outs are especially noticable in fast movements like sports coverage.
> Unfortunately vdr doesn't output any special errors related to this to the
> message log.
>
> Using dvbstream to output to a fifo-file and playing back this fifo-file in
> realtime with mplayer to -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes works fine (!!) and
> without any cut-outs or repeated images in the stream. Recording files from
> C5 in vdr and then playing them back in mplayer to -ao / -vo mpegpes shows
> the same errors as watching the channel live in vdr. Strange isn't it... I
> seriously didn't think this could be caused by vdr and faffed about with
> the tuning on and off through the past few months...
>
> The fact it reproducibly works fine with dvbstream -> fifo -> mplayer ->
> DVB-S card but fails in vdr makes me think the error must lie with vdr
> rather than with the driver or the tuning or anything else!

Does this happen in _live_ viewing mode? I.e., does VDR just tune the card
and you watch tv over _that_ card's tv out connection? Or is there "Transfer Mode"
involved? What happens if you record a programme and then replay it?

Klaus