[vdr] Re: packet size of recordings

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:47:22 +0100 (CET), Harald Milz <hm@seneca.muc.de>
wrote:

> Emil Naepflein <Emil.Naepflein@philosys.de> wrote:
> > But beware, for NFS on top of UDP larger rsize, wsize means that there
> > is more ip fragmentation and when a fragment is lost the complete nfs
> > block has to be retransmitted. As the poll() used by the playback thread
> > doesn't work for NFS files, you may see this retransmits at the screen.
>
> So what would be a good tradeoff? 4K? I thought 8K was better but you have
> a point here.

I still use 1024 bytes as the size. Here the paket fits in one ethernet
frame. And as cpu power is now issue with a data rate of about 500 kB/s
there is no real reason to change. With this I have no real problems.

> NFS over TCP might be an alternative, though. In this case lost packets are
> handled in the TCP layer.

Yes, but I cannot use it currently because on my server I am still
running a kernel which doesn't support this (2.4.4). I hesitate to
update because "never touch a running system". ;-)

Emil