[vdr] Re: cDevice plugin API

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 06:34:09PM +0100, Stefan Schluenss wrote:

> > I was actually not aware of the fact that the OSDwas rendered by the
> > plugin. I thought the DXR3 card had it's own OSD functionality;)

> The OSD isn't rendered by the plugin ! The OSD is converted to
> subpicture commands which will be interpreted and rendered by the DXR3
> card. I'm not sure whether an RTP-capable media-player would
> understand such a subpicture data stream (although this is the same
> data format used on dvds for subtiteling).

May I insert my two cents here?

I've been toying with VideoLAN (www.videolan.org) a lot recently,
which provides a rich set of applications for streaming (RTP unicast and
multicast) and receiving these streams using X11/GNOME/KDE clients.
There's also a very nice Win32 client using DirectX and hardware
overlay..

Why am I writing this? One of the standard plugins for the VideoLAN
Client is "spudec" advertised as 'DVD subtitle decoder' - doesn't this
seem like a superb way to allow both Windows and Linux platforms to act
as a 'VDR client' complete with OSD, without the need for complicated
commandline mplayer rtp:// options or installing that insane Elecard
MPEG-demux for Windows?

Cheers,
Gavin.