[vdr] Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: cDevice plugin API

Stephan Bieker wrote:

> > > This doesn't necessarily mean that everything has to be integrated into
> > > VDR.
> > This is true. I think that it is, i don't know the english word,
> > "kontraproduktiv"
> > to put everything possible in to VDR.
>
> Why should that be so if almost erveryone is putting the same plugins into
> vdr. With the same argument, you could strip of watching TV from vdr and
> release it as plugin for users who want a recording only vdr or vice versa.
> Its only a matter of where you draw the borderline.
> And I do sign your meaning, that its not good to put _everything_ into vdr,
> but i think, _most_ users want:
> mp3 playing
> audio-cd playing
> (s)vcd playing
> dvd playing
> mastertime like Timer programming.
>
> As example: If it comes to divx watching, i think, this is a thing not
> _everybody_ wants to do but i could swear, that many users do or at least
> want to use the 5 examples named above. And why not integrate this into vdr?

Well, I for one use _none_ of these ;-)

Since I am only maintaining the core VDR functionality, everyting else **HAS**
to be put into external plugins. Don't you remember those "patch orgies" that
happened with VDR 1.0? That's why I decided to draw a strict line between the core
VDR functionality (which is sat/cable/terrestrial receiver and video recorder)
and everything else.

> Or is it a natural law, that linux users must have things complicated to be
> happy?..;-) This week i installed my server new with gentoo now and it was
> easier to build X and KDE and get it running than to get vdr and mencoder to
> do what i wanted they should do.  And thats the wrong way in my opinion. But
> as i said, i see, that for now so many things are changing that we will have
> to live with it for a while and that at least one must be willing (and able)
> to do the integration stuff. I would love to see a stable 1.2.x in the near
> future, where we do it the good old *nix way and than to integrate more
> functions (like mp3) into vdr 1.3.x. But Klaus has other plans for
> sure...:-))

When I started writing VDR I wanted it to be a versatile sat receiver and video
recorder. I never had any desire for the things you mentioned above, and thus
these will not go into the core VDR code. That's what the plugin interface is
for - and I believe it works quite well that way.

Klaus