[vdr] AW: Re: AW: Re: cDevice plugin API

That should be ok too if its more intuitive than the existing ones.

> One is maintained by bashy for SuSE and the other is a little bit outdated
> for Peanut-Linux.

I've used the bashy script once for my first vdr installation and i will
never do it again. There are more options too choose from as one can mention
and at the end of the installation, you will have the same bunch of
applications and config files as installing it by hand but you dont know
what to do anymore.
A big advantage of putting it together would be a typical environment for
every user. Look at this mailinglist. Nobody ever asks of where to store
channels.conf and how it should look like, but if it comes to mount.sh or
mplayer.sh, there are so many circumstances that "light" users often are
very confused by all possibilities.
It is very clear to me, that in the moment, where things are changing every
second day (dvb, vdr, mplayer) no one has a real chance to do this, but i
think, it would be a good conclusion in the near future, to build a "stable"
release with enhanced _basic_ features.

> > This doesn't necessarily mean that everything has to be integrated into
> > VDR.
> This is true. I think that it is, i don't know the english word,
> "kontraproduktiv"
> to put everything possible in to VDR.

Why should that be so if almost erveryone is putting the same plugins into
vdr. With the same argument, you could strip of watching TV from vdr and
release it as plugin for users who want a recording only vdr or vice versa.
Its only a matter of where you draw the borderline.
And I do sign your meaning, that its not good to put _everything_ into vdr,
but i think, _most_ users want:
mp3 playing
audio-cd playing
(s)vcd playing
dvd playing
mastertime like Timer programming.

As example: If it comes to divx watching, i think, this is a thing not
_everybody_ wants to do but i could swear, that many users do or at least
want to use the 5 examples named above. And why not integrate this into vdr?

Or is it a natural law, that linux users must have things complicated to be
happy?..;-) This week i installed my server new with gentoo now and it was
easier to build X and KDE and get it running than to get vdr and mencoder to
do what i wanted they should do.  And thats the wrong way in my opinion. But
as i said, i see, that for now so many things are changing that we will have
to live with it for a while and that at least one must be willing (and able)
to do the integration stuff. I would love to see a stable 1.2.x in the near
future, where we do it the good old *nix way and than to integrate more
functions (like mp3) into vdr 1.3.x. But Klaus has other plans for
sure...:-))

Gruss

Stephan