[vdr] Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: cDevice plugin API

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 18:14, you wrote:

> A big advantage of putting it together would be a typical environment for
> every user. Look at this mailinglist. Nobody ever asks of where to store
> channels.conf and how it should look like, but if it comes to mount.sh or
> mplayer.sh, there are so many circumstances that "light" users often are
> very confused by all possibilities.

The location for that and how to call them are in the README. Not too
complicated.

> It is very clear to me, that in the moment, where things are changing every
> second day (dvb, vdr, mplayer) no one has a real chance to do this, but i
> think, it would be a good conclusion in the near future, to build a
> "stable" release with enhanced _basic_ features.

let things calm down. Then the compiling of plugins will not be so complicated
(Newstruct/Head/...). The plugins should be seperatly, as they are now. Once
vdr is stable we should be able to make some RPMs for easier installation.

> > > This doesn't necessarily mean that everything has to be integrated into
> > > VDR.
> >
> > This is true. I think that it is, i don't know the english word,
> > "kontraproduktiv"
> > to put everything possible in to VDR.
>
> Why should that be so if almost erveryone is putting the same plugins into
> vdr. With the same argument, you could strip of watching TV from vdr and
> release it as plugin for users who want a recording only vdr or vice versa.
> Its only a matter of where you draw the borderline.
> And I do sign your meaning, that its not good to put _everything_ into vdr,
> but i think, _most_ users want:
> mp3 playing
> audio-cd playing
> (s)vcd playing
> dvd playing
> mastertime like Timer programming.

I don't have currently :

 mp3 playing
 audio-cd playing
 (s)vcd playing
 dvd playing
 mastertime like Timer programming.

More important to me : divx => mplayer-plugin

> As example: If it comes to divx watching, i think, this is a thing not
> _everybody_ wants to do but i could swear, that many users do or at least
> want to use the 5 examples named above. And why not integrate this into
> vdr?

See above. The plugin-structure was invented for not putting all together.

> Or is it a natural law, that linux users must have things complicated to be
> happy?..;-) This week i installed my server new with gentoo now and it was
> easier to build X and KDE and get it running than to get vdr and mencoder
> to do what i wanted they should do.  And thats the wrong way in my opinion.
> But as i said, i see, that for now so many things are changing that we will
> have to live with it for a while and that at least one must be willing (and
> able) to do the integration stuff. I would love to see a stable 1.2.x in
> the near future, where we do it the good old *nix way and than to integrate
> more functions (like mp3) into vdr 1.3.x. But Klaus has other plans for
> sure...:-))

No the Plugin is far better. I fear I dont get your point. What do you mean
with integrating ? Putting them all back as 1.0.4 was ? I hope not.
And  I think there are more imortant things for vdr. I'm waiting for the mod
package, hopefully getting all the nifty mods together in a stable way and if
they are stable, hopefully going in the main-vdr. All things that can be done
by a plugin should be done by a plugin.

--
counter.li.org : #296567.