[vdr] Re: too many Steps to stop active TIMER ?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Alexander Damhuis wrote:

Hello Klaus,
Hello all other Coders,

some people and me were wondering, why there are several steps necessary to
remove a timer recording when it is running.

Sometimes it happens, that I set up a timer and then find out I do not want to
record it - the reasons for this may vary (I am watching it and do not need a
recording / I made a mistake in programming / my PC was down and the
recording starts in the middle of the movie / etc etc).

So, this is what I need to do at the momen to stop recording (and delete the
file):

- Enter TIMERS Menu
- Deactivate Entry
- Leave TIMERS Menu (doesn't matter if using BACK or MENU)

- Reenter TIMERS Menu
- Delete Timer entry

(and then Enter Recordings Menu and delete the Entry there to remove file)

Wouldn't it be easier just to enter the TIMERS menu and hit delete, if the
recording is running VDR could ask "TIMER is active and recording - should
Entry really be deleted and recording be stopped?" If press OK then it should
be done so, otherwise I can use BACK to be on the safe side.

Would be interesting, if there is a reason for using so many steps to stop an
active timer-initiated recording.

The reason is simple: it just has evolved that way ;-)

If you want to delete the recording anyway, you could just go into the Recordings
menu and delete it. You will be prompted that the timer is still recording, and if
you confirm this, the timer will stop recording and the recording will be deleted.

Klaus
This works if you want to delete the recording, but if you only want to delete the Timer that is just recording, you still have to enter timers, deactivate the timer, leave the menu, enter timers, delete the timer.

I would love to be able to delete an active timer the easy way too, just go to timers and delete the one i want to delete.

BTW, I just found out the above way to stop a timer 2 days ago after using VDR for 2 month now. Before that I had to disable the timer and afterwards delete the recording to stop the recording ;)