[vdr] Re: Ring buffer overflows - system too slow?

[ ring buffer overflows ]

I think the situation could be improved if parts of the driver
would be optimized. In time-shift mode the driver wastes lots of CPU
cycles busy-waiting in wait_for_debi_done(). If this could be changed,
CPU utilization of the driver would be reduced significantly.
I think that's the point. After recompiling VDR to not use transfer mode I never get a problem again. With transfer mode is it not possible to make two recordings at the same time with a remote boot system using /video on an NFS share. Even sometimes one recording + transfer mode is too much.

I wonder why there's no problem if I use a harddisk instead of NFS. If I remember correct an IRQ with a higher number can interrupt lower IRQ drivers. Is this true for linux also? Maybe I should try to make the eth0 device the device with the highest possible IRQ.

You may look at a previous message from me dated 2002-12-22 with subject: "Problem mit Transfer-Mode und NFS" which describes what I detected.

---
Claas Hilbrecht
http://www.jucs-kramkiste.de