[vdr] Re: Ring buffer overflows - system too slow?

Wolfgang Fritz wrote:
Hi,

I am running VDR with one Nexus-s rev. 2.2 on a 133 MHz/64MB Pentium board with Kernel 2.4.20, newest CVS DVB driver and VDR-1.1.21

If I compile VDR with

#define DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE 1
#define DO_MULTIPLE_RECORDINGS 1

I get lots of "ring buffer overflow" messages while recording and the recording is damaged.

This happens
- Sometimes during recording alone
- Often when recording while replaying another recording or time shift

I had this messages on a 667 P-III system too, but that was during the "RTL affair" and may not be related to my present problems.

The strange thing is that sometimes a recording + replay is working stable with system load at abt 0.6 to 0.8 and on the next try I get the ringbuffer messages and the load rises to 1.2 - 1.5.

Maybe my system is simply to slow? Has anyone out there a single DVB-s setup working reliable with DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE etc. enabled and if so, on what kind of hardware?
I can now confirm that a Pentium 133 system is too slow for the above configuration. I am running the same configuration on an EPIA ME6000 board now (VIA Eden 600 MHz processor) which is working without problems up to now.

Nevertheless the P133 was working reliably with DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE etc. disabled.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang