[vdr] Re: replay hickups when recording on second interface

Henning Holtschneider wrote:
Hi,

last weekend, I decided to give the VDR developer version a try. Everything works fine except for audio/video "hickups" during replay when a recording is running on the second card. In this case, the picture will freeze for a friction of a second (most of the time only the lower half) and after that audio and video will be out of sync for 2-3 seconds.

The problem occurs every 16 seconds if I start the replay after the recording and every 32 seconds if I start the replay before the recording (i.e. timer starts while replay running). I'm currently running VDR with DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE undefined because the problem is even worse if a recording is running on the card that is performing the playback.

My configuration:

Pentium II @ 300 MHz
IDE hard disk with DMA access turned on
two Rev. 2.1 Hauppauge DVB-s cards on different interrupts
Linux kernel 2.4.18
XFS 1.1 on /video partition
DVB driver snapshot from ftp.cadsoft.de dated 12/08/2002
patched Root
VDR 1.1.20

I don't think there is anything wrong with the recordings I'm replaying because the distortions are not bound to specific frames of a recording. The files also play fine on my PC.

Is anyone out there experiencing the same problem?

I had similar problems with a Pentium 133 MHz system which clearly was too slow doing simultaneous recording/replaying (I have only one DVB card BTW, so I had to enable DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE etc.

I got a lot of "buffer empty" kernel messages in the syslog, which seem to indicate that VDR was not able to deliver data to the DVB driver fast enough. Additionally I often got "ring buffer overflow" messages from VDR during recordings. In that case the recording was damaged, so VDR seemed to be not able to write the data from the DVB driver fast enough to disk.

The "ring buffer overflow" errors have disappeared since I installed VDR on a VIA EPIA ME6000 motherboard (600 MHz Via Eden processor), but I still have occasional "buffer empty" messages when replaying while recording. I have not seen distortions on the screen up to now, but I have this board running since yesterday only and therefore only done very limited testing.

Wolfgang

Regards,
hh

P.S. Klaus, thank you so much for the plugin design! Now I can finally use just the additional features I want without having compile tons of other stuff that I never use anyway ;-)