[vdr] Re: Suse 7.3 und Maxtor 200 GB

Tobias Meyer-Janson wrote:

- partition created by fdisk, reiserfs by Yast. Seems to work - but: The
script disk_test by Carsten Koch from January 2002 filled the
partition during 1h, but stopped with an error after a few seconds
verifying.
...which is a clear indication that either your disk is faulty or
it is not being addressed properly. The latter is most likely
and in your case is even sure as the SuSE 7.3 standard kernel
does not come with LBA48 support.

If I understand it right, I need a 48-bit-adressing kernel. How can I
detect if this is the problem (I do not know if the Suse 7.3 2.4.10
kernel supports this)? Also I want to use XFS for the new video
partition, so what kernel or patch do I need? Do I have to resetup my
system/vdr/etc.?
The easiest way might be to upgrade to SuSE 8.x, as it comes with a
kernel that has both XFS and LBA48 already built-in.

If you do not want to upgrade the whole system, install a vanilla
kernel from kernel.org plus XFS patch from http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs

I am not exactly sure when the LBA48 code went into the standard kernel,
but I believe that a fairly new kernel (2.4.20) should already contain it.

Carsten.