[vdr] Re: AW: Re: How to get the VDR box silent

Hi Christian,

> You are completely right about that :) I did not write it that detailed -
> but that was what i meant.

Okay. Didn't see that.

> > To reduce noise transfer(!) you can mount hdds or fans on rubber
> > grommets, which prevent the noise from being amplified by the
> > case (Koerperschalluebertragung).

> That is what the NoVibes does :) It uses Rubber bands for holding the
> You can find them and Pictures of them in the shop under
> "Festplatteneinbaurahmen"
> http://www.noisecontrol.de

Aha, clear now ;o)) I thought it was some fancy sponge package in
which you are supposed to wrap your hdd to keep it nice and warm.

> For PSU what would you recomend?

I personally really like the Enermax. Not quite cheap, but very robust
and well designed. I have been using them for a while in my normal
PC (which is also still my VDR PC at the moment ;o)) Okay, you
won't need the 465W model for VDR, but I have quite a bit of
equipment running my PC ;o)) They aren't very loud, but you could
substitute the fan(s) (temp controlled) with a Papst model. Mine
has a fan at the bottom an one on the rear of the PSU) This is
standard for this type of Enermax (one of the few things which
aren't modded in my PC ;o))

> I was thinking of reducing speed of the FAN in the PSU (maybee
> put a Papst in there too) and then mounting a second Papst FAN
> (slow running -1500RPM) on the Case to get rid of the heat.

Sounds okay.  I think thermocontrol should be used. This will make it
as slient as possible, yet still have enough reserve for hot days. What
you also can do is to remove the PSU cover (as long as you know what
you are doing!) and duct the case fan over your PSU components (use
thin plastic or cardboard). That way you could save one fan. Another
idea would be to use an oversized PSU (wattwise) and thus be able to
still further reduce cooling needs. A 150W PSU will run hotter than
a 300W model is you are pulling the same power from both.

> Designing my own case would be a little to much ;)

;o)) Well I am thinking about it. I was looking at a lot of cases the
other day (DIGN, LianLi 9400, Heatsinkcase, Coolermaster 600 &
610, etc)., but they are somehow not quite "complete"

For example:

 - all are missing a slot for a CAM

- those that have a hidden bay for drives (incl 3.5" floppy), don't
   have space for a larger (or at all) display.

- all somehow are missing small features

- for the plastic models (like acer): I just don't like the El-cheapo
  look of this stuff in my HiFi Rack The same goes for the case
  which Klaus (sorry, no offence meant) is using .

- The mini models (like MSI etc) which are built like a small
  mini tower also don't fit very well into the picture of a HiFi
  rack.

I really like the Lian Li 9400 (not avail yet) and the Coolermaster
610 cases, but they are damn expensive (just "because" they are
HTPC)

BUT  I can't put a display or a CAM slot in either of them (okay
CAM would be possible as I have a milling machine & a lathe ;o))

I DO have an idea how to integrate a 2x40 VFD into the lower bay
door of the 610 case, but at 244 Euro per pop, I'll really have to
investigate if it is do-able BEFORE I buy it ;o)).

Has anyone found a better case out there?

Greetz,
Reinhard

---
Mail is certified Virus Free.