[vdr] AW: Re: How to get the VDR box silent

Hi Reinhard,

> "I" would rather search for a harddisk which is silent directly from
> the manufacturer than having to pack a hdd in some kind of foam
> or noise reductant material. My ST380021A is fast, gets only hand
> warm und is damn quiet. Packing electrical equipment into a heat
> soaking enviroment (which all nosie reducer stuff is) is NOT going
> to be beneficial to the MTBF.

You are completely right about that :) I did not write it that detailed -
but that was what i meant.
You will need a silent Disk from scratch. My Maxtor 80GB 5400RPM (don't
remeber modell) is very silent - but still I can hear it running and
therefor I use the NoVibes to get rid of that noise.

> To reduce noise transfer(!) you can mount hdds or fans on rubber
> grommets, which prevent the noise from being amplified by the
> case (Koerperschalluebertragung).

That is what the NoVibes does :) It uses Rubber bands for holding the Disk.
You can find them and Pictures of them in the shop under
"Festplatteneinbaurahmen"
http://www.noisecontrol.de

> Fans: Use the biggest you can fit and run them on reduced voltage.
> I.e. a 40mm fan running on 12V will be _A_LOT louder than a
> 80mm fan running on 4-5V. Also watch out for the fan blade
> design. Anything looking like a turbine claw will most likely also
> sound like a turbine.

The Arctic Silent Pro has got a bigger Fan and therefore it is quite silent
:)
It can be used for Athlon XP up til 2100+ and therefore I can reduce Voltage
without problems :)

> Another possibility is to to make airducts to the CPU, HDD, DVB,
> PSU and other heat makers. Lead these airducts to a single large
> (120mm) fan , which is temperture controlled. Of course you will
> need to design a custom case to fit this

For PSU what would you recomend.

I was thinking of reducing speed of the FAN in the PSU (maybee put a Papst
in there too) and then mounting a second Papst FAN (slow running - 1500RPM)
on the Case to get rid of the heat.

Designing my own case would be a little to much ;)

Greetings
Christian