[vdr] Re: How to get the VDR box silent

Hi all,

> Then for reducing harddisk noise I can really recomend NoVibes from
> http://www.noisecontrol.de
> It reduces the noise of the running disk very well :) I can't hear the

I personally recommend SilentDrive from Molex (http://www.silentpc.nl) with
a Seagate Barracuda V. Works great. The SilentDrive essentially muffles the
drive and reduces all hard drive noise by 3 dB. Remember to turn any silent
mode the hard drive might have on!

Also, given the low prices of compact flash these days, perhaps opting for a
small compact flash for booting and mounting NFS shares for the rest could
be considered.

The case is very important.

Finally, I must again recommend using a VIA C3 processor. These runs just
fine with just a passive heat sink. I run a 933 MHz version myself with a
(although large) passive heat sink.

The only things I'm lacking at the moment are:

* A really quiet DVD/CD player. A 1xDVD/4xCD is just fine as long as it is
_really_ noiseless. I have a NEC 5700 which isn't that noisy but you can
still hear it.
* A completely fan-less PSU. I know of one very expensive one (roughly
250EUR) and I'm actually considering building/rebuilding my own PSU. Some of
the fan less PSU's I have been looking at are actually quite noisy due to
the noise emitted from the switch regulators.

Any input on this would be great. I would like to have a completely fan-less
and silent machine. Although at this moment with its single Pabst fan it is
actually much more silent than my Philips VCR!

Best regards
 Sven