[vdr] Re: How to get the VDR box silent

Hello Sven,

>> Then for reducing harddisk noise I can really recomend NoVibes from
>> http://www.noisecontrol.de

SK> I personally recommend SilentDrive from Molex (http://www.silentpc.nl) with
SK> a Seagate Barracuda V. Works great. The SilentDrive essentially muffles the
SK> drive and reduces all hard drive noise by 3 dB. Remember to turn any silent
SK> mode the hard drive might have on!

Surely, the Barracuda are too hot to put into the SilentDrive!!!?
I have a couple of SilentDrive's (and a couple of Barracuda IV/V as
well), and I would never put the cuda into the S.D.
But then again, the drives are not too expensive nowadays, so maybe
this is a decision that you actively made .. ;-)

The novibes are very good though, but also very expensive for what you
get (those guys must get rich on them).

SK> The only things I'm lacking at the moment are:

SK> * A really quiet DVD/CD player. A 1xDVD/4xCD is just fine as long as it is
SK> _really_ noiseless. I have a NEC 5700 which isn't that noisy but you can
SK> still hear it.

Some say the Samsung SD-616Q are good, at least if playing dvd's (the
noise goes up for data transfers). I did not hear it when listening
to it at a friends house, but the environment where not dead silent,
soo...  Pioneer slot-in, on the other hand are sounding like a JAS
engine; stay off them!

SK> Any input on this would be great. I would like to have a completely fan-less
SK> and silent machine. Although at this moment with its single Pabst fan it is
SK> actually much more silent than my Philips VCR!

You could join the silentpc mailinglist if you are not already
subscribed. (silent-pc @ yahoo)

--
Best regards,
 Micael