[vdr] Re: AW: Re: How to get the VDR box silent

I've tested various setups to get to the most silent solution so
including
underclocking, watercooling and so on.

I'm at the stage of buidling the most silent version which consists out
of:

 - Via epia M9000 iTX board incl VIA C3 933Mhz
   (This processor ain't fast but fast enough for what it should do)
 - RCP300W fanless PSU from RSG electronics.
 - Maxtor harddisk 120GB
   (note : brand is not so important, even 7200rpm drives are silent
enough)
 - DVD or DVD-RW drive : not sure yet which one to pick.
 - Technotrend DVBs card, incl common access slots.

This setup is tested with windows as OS cause VIA's implementation
towards Linux is still not what I expect of it.

 The case:

 I could not find a suitable commercial case so i'm buiding a new one.
 It consists out of two huge heatsinks on each side. Bottom/top are of
 3mm thick aluminum, front/back of 5mm aluminium.
 The C3 CPU is cooled by a heatpipe which is connected to one of the
heatsinks.
 The PSU is cooled by the other heatsink (the power supply uses an L
shaped
 cooling plate)
 The North bridge on the epia board (CLE266) is cooled by it's own
heatsink.

 Both top as bottom cover have many drilled holes for system cooling.
 Indeed, this is an area that people intend to forget.
 Hot air rises so give the hot air the oppertunity to leave the chassis.
 The hot resistor on the DVBs card is replaced with a special cooled
version (incl heatsink) and the heat caused by tuner and resistor can
leave the chassis very easy.

Additional noise prevention:

 A DVD drive that runs at 1x speed is enough.. easy under windows
 with a tool like CDbremse but I still have to find a Linux solution.

Sytem noise could also be reduced by placing sort of cork structure.
This means ; not by gueing plates to the chassis or on the sides of the
IDE devices but randomly structures in the open space.
Cork can absorb noise and the irregular structure also prevents forming
standing waves in the chassis. The tricky part: the sound buffer may not
have an impact on the cooling of the system and this is not easy.
There's one exception: the case may not vibrate but this is not a
problem
in this case due to the heavy construction.

note : My intentions where not creating the smalles unit but the most
silent unit. Box size is is the same as standard 19 inch used for home
sound devices.

Price : Signums futureclient is still much more expensive but this unit
        will still be too expensive for most people.
        Biggest costs are for the 300W fanless PSU and the chassis.
        Followed by the VIA board/harddisk/ram

Project finish expected around end februari cause I still don't know
if I should add a small LCD screen in the front cover.

I'll create a website that describes the entire project oh and...
id someone is looking for a weter cooling setup, I'm selling one.