[vdr] Re: VDR feature request

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:09:14 +0100, Steffen Barszus <st_barszus@gmx.de>
wrote:

> You have forgotten to say "for you". This genre sorting dir-making etc is not
> a thing I like. I use the /video* feature and I'm happy it is there. I have 4
> different partitions on 2 different harddrives and I like the fact vdr
> searches it place for recording itself.

It is ok that vdr search the space itself. But the problem with the
current strategy is that if you loose one of your partitions you loose
most of your recordings. A better strategy for vdr would be to put all
files belonging to one recording onto the partition with the highest
free space when the recording starts. If the partition is running full
during recording it can switch then to another one. This solution is
certainly not perfect, especially if multiple concurrent recordings are
done, but it reduces the risk of loosing all your recordings because
just one partition has been corrupted.

BTW, I also use the standard /video/* strategy extented by Genre
directories which are only in the primary directory.

Emil