[vdr] firmware versions, av sync (Re: VDR developer version 1.1.21)

  Me again.. Further investigations on new firmware versions:

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Jaakko Hyvätti wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >   ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/linux-dvb.2003-01-08-ci-ll.tar.bz2
> >
> > which is the CVS 'HEAD' version from 2003-01-08 with a new, experimental
> > firmware that allows the application to connect to the CAM through the
> > "Link Layer" protocol (see my separate posting regarding this).
>
>   I do not use CAM, but also some other things seem to have improved with
> this experimental firmware.  The channel switching works faster, the old
> behaviour that a channel would blink on, the go black and then come up
> again is gone.  Also with channels transmitting a static image, the old
> firmware caused the image to flicker for the first couple of seconds.
> Now all static images are rock solid starting from the first displayed
> frame.
>
>   I tried the Metzler bros firmware also, it seems to be fixed too, but I
> have not tested it too much.

  I think the reason for this behaviour of video blinking to black for a
second at channel switch is to get the AV sync right.  Now without the
blink the AV sync is wrong, sound is late.  I guess in the old firmware
the video was blanked when waiting for sound to catch up with it.

  Is there anything in the interface that was changed in this firmware
that could account for this, and therefore allow this to be fixed in VDR,
or is it a firmware bug?  I see VDR is trying to call the
AUDIO_SET_AV_SYNC ioctl, but it seems not to have effect in live view any
more.

Jaakko

--
Foreca Ltd                                           Jaakko.Hyvatti@foreca.com