[vdr] Re: VDR developer version 1.1.22

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
VDR developer version 1.1.22 is now available at

    ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/vdr-1.1.22.tar.bz2

The changes since version 1.1.21:
 snip

- Modified cRingBufferLinear to avoid excessive memmove() calls in 'Transfer Mode'
  and during recordings, which dramatically reduces CPU load. Thanks to Teemu
This is great! Thanks very much.

My P1 233 and DVBs Nexus 2.1 is now almost perfect in transfer mode, where it was unusable before. I say almost, as our FTA channels here seem to be twice the bit rate of the commercial channels, (7-8Mb/s) with CPU around 90% and during fast action, the video and audio breaks up slightly, or occasionally causes lockups.

I wonder if it would be possible to have another operational mode for VDR, for marginal CPU's like mine, where as soon as one manually goes into record on a channel, replay is automatically switched to timeshift - replaying the recording, as in this case the load drops to about 20%, as it does when switching to another channel on the same transponder.

This sounds clumsy, but would allow timeshifting and simultaneous record/replay of different channels by avoiding transfer mode.

I am still trying to work out if the hardware "budget" modification to full feature cards, (which I am comfortable doing), that has been recently discussed on the DVB list, would fix the problem I have, or whether doing software TS filtering will offset any gain.

Anyway, this is a significant gain in performance.

Regards,

Richard