[vdr] Re: [maybe OT]Re: split: vdr-server & control unit w/ DVD

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 10:00, you wrote:
> > My idea would be :
> > -  IR + LCD on one usb-line
> > - dvd on another line
> > - maybe a hup as repeater between them and the vdr-computer
> >
> > But I didn't found something like the first point. So maybe a small
> > machine as
> > remote-dvd , IR and LCD Server and the server over long a/v .
>
> A 'remote' LIRC is no real problem. There are devices e.g. from Conrad
> Elektronik in Germany that can send an IR signal to different rooms
> using some FM/AM technology. LCD IMHO is a major problem as well as the
> DVD.

Hmmm the LCD I guess is no real problem if there is a serial interface to it.
If I go trough the wall I don't have more than 5 m

> But a basic question: What do you want to achieve? Not having a PC in
> the living room or making it quiet? I currently have a black case that
> fits to the other hifi-/video-devices so my main problem currently is
> just the noise.

I think having a lot of power and a qiet vdr is not possible. So I think of a
lcd-display and ir-remote and the machine in another room. This would save me
money for a new good looking case, that is perfect for being quiet.

> Additionally, to be honest, I don´t believe that the Linux-VDR can
> compete with some windows features. Last Christmas I got a lot of DVDs
> :-) and there were major problems with some of them on VDR so I finally
> decided to boot up windows with WinDVD/PowerDVD and used Girder for IR
> control. I would also love to build a VDR-only system, but I really
> believe that I would have to spend some money to a 'real' DVD player and
> forget the DVD/VCD/MP3 plugin... This would also solve one of your
> problems...

Yes thats what I thought of too. A cheap dvd-standalone would fit perfect in
the living room. For mp3-playback I would prefer a solution like GiantDisc.
With current harddiscs it is no problem to cache some gigs of mp3. The
current mp3-plugin would of course be preferable as interface for GiantDisc.

will see what I do. I would be interested too, how others run there vdr.
--
Regards
Steffen