[vdr] Re: Multiple disks or EVMS/RAID/etc. (was: vdr Verhalten bei /video0 /video1 ...)

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:11:10 +0100,
tobias.meyer-janson@sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de (Tobias Meyer-Janson)
wrote:

> Strange? How do you rename recordings?

I just do a mv.

> How do you split recordings?

I *never* split recordings. I just cut to remove commercials.

> Just
> how do you organize your videothek?

I never cut recordings I will not keep permanently. I cut the recordings
that I keep permanently and just do a mv on the primary into a genre
folder (Thriller, Action, ...). That's it.

> In the example above I only renamed one recording manually. The rest was
> done by vdr. When I started to use vdr I was told to do so to organize
> my recordings and it worked good. I assume, now with multiple disks this
> is a nono?

No, you just have to keep in mind that splitting recordings should be
avoided.

> > In your case you have to rename both the primary and the secondary
> > directories and recreate the symbolic links for the ???.vdr files in the
> > primary.
>
> That's a lot of work for one renaming/moving - and there are several.

Just write a perl script which handles this. I have several scripts for
my personal setup which handle different tasks. The most important one
ist vdrcheck which checks the consistency of the vdr tree. I looks for
symbolic links pointing into nowhere and creates the correct ones, and
also finds files where no symbolic links point to. You can write
something similar matching your requirements.

> think it would be much easier to use LVM or something like that, though
> I have no idea, yet, how that works.

LVM without redundancy is a very bad idea. One broken disk or a glitch
in the reiserfs and you have lost *all* of your recordings.

> P. S.: And hint where I could start to get information about LVM, RAID,
> EVMS or something like that or any other that could solve my problem?

Search for the Howtos with google.

Emil