[vdr] Re: pre-announce: new streaming plugin

Hi!
[Streaming Server-Client Solution]
This really sounds great. As you might recall, I am looking for a solution to
have a VDR server only with a Nova Card, no TV, and watch TV either on my
Laptop (Linux) or Desktop (Windows). All the Hardware (Nova, Satelellite Dish
etc.) is here, but I didn't get arround to install any of this yet, so it
might be a while until I begin hacking around in the code.
Meanwhile, I'd suggest the following: Let the server do the work, and only
stream mpeg data, including the menus, which are implemented as subpictures,
IIRC. I believe Mplayer for example should be able to dump this stream right
onto your TV or PC screen, and I think there are Windows Prorgrams available
which can do the same.
Then you'd only need a small programm, which is independent of the former
(could even run on a different machine, I'm crazy, I might use that feature
:-)) which takes Keyboard/Mouse/Lirc/Voice Command ... Input and sends it
over the control channel. Implementing this as a "Tray Icon", running in the
background with mplayer in the foreground, shouldn't be hard.
You see, I'm doing a little brainstorming here - that's about what I would
want anyway. As  I said before, I'm sure going to help coding, as soon as I'm
ready.

Greets Phil

--
/"\