[vdr] Re: EPG / tuning problem

Steven Toth wrote:

> Hello :)
>
> To recap, I've built some software to extract the sky epg data from the
> single transponder that it's being broadcast on. The data format is 100%
> proprietary.
>
> As a result. I need to write a plugin for VDR to (on demand) tune to a
> particular transponder and get the latest updates, decode them etc and
> put them into the regular epg structures.
>
> I took a (very) quick look at the plugin spec but it didn't seem to
> offer the ability to re-tune etc. Maybe I missed the point.

You don't explicitly "retune" from a plugin. What you can do is to
call cDevice::GetDevice(channel, priority) to get a pointer to a device
that provides that channel, then set up a cReceiver derived object
to receive the desired PIDs from that channel, and attach that
cReceiver to the device. Once you're done you can just delete your
receiver. If you set the priority to -1 you will also be sure that you
won't disturb any ongoing recording on that transponder.

> The goal would be to create an OSD and data grabbing application with a
> little more flexibility that the existing mechanisms, and to
> gather/search the data as required etc.
>
> Is this the first proprietary epg feed problem or have other projects
> faced similar problems?

AFAIK so far all EPG is being read from the DVB data stream in the form
as the DVB standard originally defines it (I wonder why some tv broadcasters
believe they have to create their own standards...).

I use the data retrieved by the getskyepg.pl, which works just fine for me.

Klaus