[vdr] Re: DVB-T

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 4:31 pm, you wrote:
> Hello vdr,
>   According to the official site (http://www.dlrtc.lv/) they broadcast
>   FREE-TO-AIR signal at 610 MHz (38 UHF channel) with COFDM modulation
>   QAM 64 8K coding and 1/8 safe interval with something else 3/4.

Your 'something else' is likely to be FEC (forward error-correction).

>   First, my friend got a TV from UK: BUSH 6690D Digital On.

Ah, a TV with built-in decoder? This might be a problem... the UK uses 2K
transmission mode, whilst you're telling me Latvia is planning on 8K
transmission.. (I don't understand what the mode actually means...) I have no
idea if the TV will be able to detect this, or if it will have been hardcoded
to 2K for use in the UK..

>   2nd - I'm tired of analog capturing. I heard that test broadcasts
>   have 4 government channels and since they have really awesome
>   quality over analog cable they should have perfect quality over
>   DVB-T.

If you 'want to play', then yes get a DVB-T card - the cheapest option will be
the Hauppauge Nova-T. It costs around £100 in the UK, and will rely on your
CPU to do the MPEG2 decode.

You will be able to use it in conjunction with your Dxr2 and mplayer to get a
full-screen TV picture, or just mplayer on it's own to watch TV on your PC
monitor.

The data stream goes

Transmitter -> Nova-T -> MPEG2 data -> Dxr2 -> TV

So that means you can take pure copies of the broadcast programmes and store
them on hard disk at the full broadcast quality.. hence this is where VDR
steps in :)

To run a VDR machine, you will need to get a Dxr3, since the plugin for VDR
does not support the Dxr2 (the driver for the Dxr2 is very different)

Hope that helps! :)

Gavin.