[vdr] Re: A/V sync problems with new drivers

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:

>> I heavn't read the document, so I don't really know, what hardware
>> scaling means in this context, but I think, it means the following, what
>> mplayer (or better, mplayer.sh) does use:

> Yes, I know your script does this ;o)) From what I saw in the Mplayer
> code, I'm not quite sure if it really does this via hardware. The main
> problem with mplayer is that it is so complex (at least if not more
> than VDR) and the code is "splattered" all over. There is no way for
> *me* to really see if mplayer uses all the hardware capabilities or
> not. The AV711x of course can only do this with mpeg2 frames, so
> any downscaling (or upscaling) of say a divx film is most likely to
> be software based. That is, unless, mplayer (and the whole codec
> stuff behind mplayer) converts the divx to mpeg2 first and then scales
> it. I really don't know if they do it this way, because, if they scale it
> before they convert it, they have less data to process, so this might
> be the way mplayer does it, but I *really* truely have no idea.

Hmm, I still think this isn't an mplayer issue, as, if I understand it
correctly, if you tell mplayer to scale a movie to, say, 480x576, it'll
do so in software, but the ARM will scale it up to 720x576 in hardware.

Or is there something different meant with hardware scaling in the document?

Cheers,
Juri