[vdr] Re: A/V sync problems with new drivers

Hi Oliver,

> > I also found a few other interesting statements in the TI PDF.
> Please keep in mind that the Metzlers apparently re-wrote parts of the
> runtime library. So these statements might not apply to the current
> firmware.

Ahk, yes, that is true.

> > On page 33 they talk about CPU (ARM) load. There is quite a
> I think, you got that wrong. All they say is:
> - 1 pid with 5 MBit/s (5MBit/s total) --> 5-8% cpu load
> - 8 pids with 5 MBit/s each (8x5 = 40MBit/s total) --> 40-66% cpu
> You see, the cpu load scales very well.
> Also note that 8 pids (with 5MBit/s each) means receiving 8 video
> channels at the same time...

Hehehe, my fault. I was think PAT (filters) not PID. So what I wrote
was indeed BS ;o)) Sorry.

> > - The ARM 7 is capable of hardware scaling (pg 34) If Mplayer
> > could utilize this capability, it could make a lot of people with
> > low CPU power in their STBs happy. From what I have figured
> > out of Mplayer it doesn't make use of this feature when doing

> I don't see a chance to get firmware support for this. IMHO
> we should  not increase the complexity of the (closed-source)
> firmware.

Yes, you have a point there.

> Anyway, as PC processors become faster and faster, nobody
> will care  about that (soon).

Cough, Cough. It *isn't* a problem for me. If I need a 1.4 GHZ
CPU for VDR, I'd be the first person to use it ;o)) But some
people out there are using a slow CPU for their VDR box
(hint: one of them is reading the mail right now ;o))))

> > One last thing. Could you have a look at pgs 94-95. I would like
> > to integrate the "dual channel output mode select" into my VDR

> According to the source code, the driver already supports
> AUDIO_STEREO,  AUDIO_MONO_LEFT and
>AUDIO_MONO_RIGHT ioctls.

Really? This is great news. Will do as soon as I find the time.

>Did you try them?

No, the last time I had a thorough look at the DVB source code
was sometime last November. So it must a feature that
Convergence added after that (at least I didn't find something
like this in last November or in drivers before November.

Two more questions for the DVB driver expert ;o))

- Do you have an idea if I can get info from the DVB driver
(via ioctl) if it is running in NTSC or PAL mode? I would
like to autoscale VDR's menu to the appropriate size
depending on the mode the DVB is in. I tried to implement
something like this in middle of last year, but failed
miserably ;o(( sniff.

Would it be possible to switch the output of the DVB (RGB,
YC, CVBS) via an ioctl call? I believe Holger said this would
be possible with a small change in the driver code. He wanted
to send me some info, but I guess he is busy at the moment
(or maybe simply forgot ;o)). The vidmode (output
determination) is only used in one or two places in the DVB
driver. What I don't know is if you can switch while the driver
is running (but I'd guess so, since the Windoz progs use this
feature) I already patched the Makefile so that you can do
this at "insmod" time, but this isn't the most satisfying
way ;o))

Greetz,
Reinhard

---