[vdr] Re: A/V sync problems with new drivers

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:
> > Anyway, as PC processors become faster and faster, nobody
> > will care  about that (soon).
>
> Cough, Cough. It *isn't* a problem for me. If I need a 1.4 GHZ

And it isn't a problem for me, too. :-)

> CPU for VDR, I'd be the first person to use it ;o)) But some
> people out there are using a slow CPU for their VDR box
> (hint: one of them is reading the mail right now ;o))))

Really? Indeed. 8-).
But I'm using a slow cpu because it's fast enough for me.

> > > One last thing. Could you have a look at pgs 94-95. I would like
> > > to integrate the "dual channel output mode select" into my VDR
> >
> > According to the source code, the driver already supports
> > AUDIO_STEREO,  AUDIO_MONO_LEFT and
> >AUDIO_MONO_RIGHT ioctls.
>
> Really? This is great news. Will do as soon as I find the time.

Try the AUDIO_CHANNEL_SELECT ioctl to select
- AUDIO_STEREO
- AUDIO_MONO_LEFT or
- AUDIO_MONO_RIGHT
(I don't know whether is really works. In the driver it looks ok)

> >Did you try them?
>
> No, the last time I had a thorough look at the DVB source code
> was sometime last November. So it must a feature that
> Convergence added after that (at least I didn't find something
> like this in last November or in drivers before November.

You must have looked at the wrong places.
The old DVB 0.9.4 driver (2002-06-23) supports it, too.

> Two more questions for the DVB driver expert ;o))
                                        ^^^^^^
Not really!

> - Do you have an idea if I can get info from the DVB driver
> (via ioctl) if it is running in NTSC or PAL mode? I would
> like to autoscale VDR's menu to the appropriate size
> depending on the mode the DVB is in. I tried to implement
> something like this in middle of last year, but failed
> miserably ;o(( sniff.

According to the source code, the driver supports the following
video4linux ioctls. You might try
- VIDIOCGTUNER: get mode VIDEO_MODE_PAL/VIDEO_MODE_NTSC
- VIDIOCSTUNER: set mode VIDEO_MODE_PAL/VIDEO_MODE_NTSC

> Would it be possible to switch the output of the DVB (RGB,
> YC, CVBS) via an ioctl call? I believe Holger said this would
> be possible with a small change in the driver code. He wanted
> to send me some info, but I guess he is busy at the moment
> (or maybe simply forgot ;o)). The vidmode (output
> determination) is only used in one or two places in the DVB
> driver. What I don't know is if you can switch while the driver
> is running (but I'd guess so, since the Windoz progs use this
> feature) I already patched the Makefile so that you can do
> this at "insmod" time, but this isn't the most satisfying
> way ;o))

It would be easy to add an ioctl to switch video mode.
This ioctl has to call
    VidMode(av7110, vidmode);
But I don't know when it is safe to call this routine.
You have to ask a real expert. ;-)

Oliver