[vdr] Re: vdr cuts recordings with ugly artifacts at cutting-points

Am Sonntag, 13. April 2003 15:58 schrieben Sie:
> > But I also see block artefacts at cutting points. I can get rid of them
> > with PVAStrumento, but this creates mpegfiles, not VDR recordings...
>
> Hmm.... maybe I should add an option to PVAS to output vdr recordings ?
> I'll be thinking about that.

It would be nicer to make vdr use of that knowledge ;)
I don't know if it is possible, but clean cuts would be nice for vdr (maybe
sth for the 1.3x ?)

> In short: Typically the GOPs in DVB-transmission are not "closed", which
> means there are frames referring to a previous GOP. Cutting at I-frame
> borders now places are different (earlier) GOP as the "previous" one, which
> results in artefacts, as the B-frames are now reconstructed on a wrong
> reference.
>
> What PVAStrumento does at cut-points is that it simply throws away pictures
> referring to a "previous" GOP (which can be determined because the GOP is
> then flagged as "not-closed"). Thereby avoiding artefacts, as the GOP after
> the cut now starts (in temporal order) with the I-frame and is therefore
> closed.
>
> As I'm almost through with adding marks.vdr processing to PVAS, I will
> consider adding vdr-output to PVAS - which should not be too different from
> mpeg2-PS output. [Unfortunately there are more pressing things to add to
> PVAS currently, like multi-audio and AC3....]

that sounds nice. I wish I could afford a dvd-burner ;)

--
If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it,
we would be so simple we couldn't.