[vdr] Re: Feature Request: All-Time-Recording

Hi Tobias,

> > >   the time VDR is running. Cutting a movie would become
> > OK. Right.
> This should only be a problem for old machines. Current
> machines are already powerful enough and the machines
> vdr will run on in two years won't bother at all...

Well there are a few users running low powered machines..

> And you can always use a second hard disk.

Which would only help if it's on the second IDE channel

> > friends/family... So you could say: save this from 20:15 to 21:00
>> to "My  Friend on TV" directory.
> That's one thing. The other is that there are people (like me) who
> do not _plan_ watching TV. I'd like to just switch the TV on and
> look what movies are currently playing.

Same here. But why do you need to stream this to HDD first?

> If there is an interesting movie, I'd like to watch it from the
> beginning.

Sorry. I don't get how the above idea will help. If you switch VDR
on first, it can't record beforehand ;o)) If you mean VDR is already
running (before you watch): how will VDR know which channels
to stream to HDD (and for how long?)? You can *NOT* stream
all channels at once (only same band and polarisation).

> Since vdr can record lots of channels simultaneously (at least
> the german channels are mostly FTA), one can record all
>channels where one expects movies.

No, you can't. See above (unless you run 4 DVB cards)

>I've already tried to record 7 channels in parallel without problems.

Yes, but not one being H & low band and the other being
V & low band (e.g.)

> I understand that switching a channel takes so long because vdr
> has to find the next I-Frame before starting to play.

No, VDR switches channels pretty fast I would say. The DVB
does *not* play when watching live TV. Even crypted channels
are switched fast (after the first load of info is cached). Klaus
did a pretty damn good job on channel selection speed. Andreas
Schultz's patch slows this down a bit, but he is working on it ;o))

> The result of course would be that you wouldn't watch the live
> stream, but a stream with a delay of 1/4 second on average.

Amongst others (see other problems I mentioned earlier) I don't
think we should complicate this mechanism (and I know Klaus
won't implement it anyway ;o))

Greetz,
Reinhard

---