[vdr] Re: Volume control and mute don't work with DXR3

ma, 14-04-2003 kello 19:13, Tobias Haustein kirjoitti:
> Because I don't want to use multiple remote controls. In fact, I'm thinking
> of vdr as some kind of "television operating system" and plan to use only on
> function of the TV set: power on/off, controlled by lirc in response of a
> power on/off command. With volume control this does not work, because
> receiving the IR commands of the RC and sending simultaneously commands that
> are understood by the TV does not work reliable.

I see the point. I solved the multiple remote problem with a Philips
Pronto. For VDR control "page" there is actually control for three
devices at the same time. I had earlier a simpler universal remote but
it wasn't flexible enough.

> The "TV operating system" approach seems to be different from the kind of
> usage other people see for vdr. In my scenario, vdr gets all signals from
> the satellite and the TV sets are connected directly and exclusively to vdr.
> Each TV set gets its own DXR3 card and an HF modulator. The biggest problem
> then is to connect the IR-receiver/sender to the PC, but I've designed a
> ciruit using RS232 line converters that should work with very long cables...

16-bit digital volume control degrades SNR but it shouldn't be an issue
after a HF modulator. Anyway, the volume control feature is on it's way
and Kai told it won't affect line out users!

Seppo