[vdr] Re: Compile Error with AutoPID patch

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem compiling vdr-2.1.27 with vdr-1.1.27-autopid-1.diff
> > from http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aschultz/dvd/
>
> The problem is the (tried) redefinition of swap.

VDR doesn't "try" to "redefine" swap() - it _defines_ it!
Note that the core VDR code doesn't use the STL.
There is an #ifdef in VDR/tools.h that checks whether the
STL header file has been included (maybe by a plugin that
uses it). Maybe you're not benefiting from this because it
has only been introduced in VDR 1.1.18 and AFAIK you are still
back at version 1.1.17.

> STL has it's
> own swap and Klaus defined a swap routine within VDR. Here
> is whatI did: I renamed swap in VDR (tools) to VDRSwap.
> You'll have to search the rest of the VDR code where it uses
> the original swap and also rename this to VDRSwap (it's used
> in two places IIRC). after that you'll no longer have a
> redefinition collision.

Of course you can do that in your version of VDR, but the core VDR code
is not going to change in that respect. VDR, as stated above, doesn't
use the STL, so any patch that ever wants to have a chance to go
into the core VDR code also shouldn't use it (please let's not engage
in a lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of STL - this is the
way it is and I have no intention of changing it).

Plugins, on the other hand, are free to do whatever they want.
They may need to include teh STL header file before any of VDR's
header files in order to make sure tools.h "sees" the necessary macro.

Klaus