[vdr] Re: SPDIF out

> On Friday 25 April 2003 17:33, you wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I was actually thinking of going down a libmpeg2 and DirectFB route, but
if
> > anyone has any major objections just let me know as I'm still just
getting
> > my head around everything.
>
> Hmm, I'm thinking here from the point of view of Epia boards (and many
others)
> with onboard TV-Out... there's certainly no DirectFB driver for those
(unless
> some generic VESA support exists?) and the accelerated X11 /TV Out driver
is
> binary-only - not ideal, but more workable.
>
> DirectFB seems to be harder to get working, since you need to tinker in
the
> kernel, and pass kernel parameters at boot time, etc.
>
> I'm sure this will prompt a torrent of 'can't get directfb working!'
e-mails
> in your inbox... Certainly the last time I played with DirectFB (and I
have
> the highly-supported Matrox G200) I ended up with all sorts of machine
> lockups and screen corruption before I got it right, and I'm no newbie :)
>
> SDL relies on X, and I don't really like X... but at least it would leave
the
> door open for running fullscreen with whatever Xv driver is available, or
> just "leaving the TV on" in the background...  doing for budget cards what
> Kvdr does for the full-featured ones... That would truly be wonderful :)
>
> It would certainly be great to be able to build a VDR box using a single
> budget card and make use of TV output :)
>
> Of course, it's your baby, but I'm just trying to make the usefulness of
any
> plugin as widespread as possible :)
>
> gdh

Hi

No probs, discussion usually saves a lot of work later ;-)

I would prefer to not to have to have X11 on a TV-out only box unless you
know of a card which can output 720x576 to TV-out under X.  What do people
think who aren't limited to TV-out and can output VGA/DVI directly to a
projector/plasma etc?

I have a full DVB card and a Nova and one of the reasons for playing around
with this is because the I feel the OSD is too limited and won't be able to
provide what is needed for MHP etc.

By the way, DirectFB has a SDl target so you can run DirectFb->SDL->X11 :->

Cheers
Ray