[vdr] Re: issues with receiver thread

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:

I found out that the receiver thread uses the CPU regularly (about
5-15%). The reason why the receiver thread does not exit is the transfer
thread, which does not consume any CPU time. I couldn't find out why the
transfer thread does not end after recording.
When a recording starts, the currently viewed channel is put into Transfer Mode
if this is the same one as the recorded channel. The reason for this is that the
user shall be able to switch to different live channels on the same transponder
while the recording is going on. When the recording finishes, there is no action
taken to put the live channel back into "non Transfer Mode", since this would
cause a short glitch in the live programme, which might annoy the users.
Thanks for your explanation!

You can easily turn Transfer Mode off by just doing a channel switch.
That's right. I just tested this.
But when I'm doing a recording late in the evening, there's nobody who will switch channels (maybe I should tell my two cats to do so :-), the results are a rather high CPU load, temperature and power consumption over night, and, even worse, no EPG data for the next day.

Maybe VDR should attempt to put the live channel back into "non Transfer Mode"
after a recording ends (and there is no other recording going on). but, as I said,
this will cause a short glitch in the live channel...
I would accept the glitch, but this should be configurable.

If I'd be able to write C++, I'd prepare a patch. But I'm not :-(

Another question: what's the difference between
Device->Recording(true)
and
Device->Recording (false) (or Device-Recording()) ?

It has to do something with priorities, but I don't understand this fully (as I said, my C++-Knowledge is nearly (void*)NULL).

I modified these statement from true to false in eitscan.c, where the EPG scan will run only if no recording is done. This way, the teletext receiver thread does not prevent the EPG scan. But I'm not shure if there are any other side effects...

bye, Michael

--
netWorks Vox: +43 316 698260
Michael Reinelt Fax: +43 316 692343