[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

On Monday 01 September 2003 11:50, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 03:31:15AM +0200, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 August 2003 13:13, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > > I'll take this issue to the dvb mailing list. But first we should have
> > > a solution which makes vdr happy. ;-)
> >
> > Update:
> > My driver patch will probably not be accepted, since the API does not
> > allow PES data in VIDEO_STILLPICTURE ioctl calls.
>
> This is really bad because you're patch works perfect
> ... the cur marks can be moved and the pictures will
> be refreshed.  Btw: What's the reason of not allowing
> PES data in the VIDEO_STILLPICTURE ioctl calls.

I was told that the API spec. does not allow PES data in the
STILL_PICTURE ioctl. (IMHO the spec is not very clear.)

> And is there a way to extend this VIDEO_STILLPICTURE ioctl
> in such a way that it is backward compatible with ES
> data?

That would be very easy, but...
Extending the API means that *all* drivers must be modified to accept
PES data. Probably the dbox people would not like that.

Now we solved the problem within vdr. The PES header is stripped and
pure ES is passed to the driver. The driver prepends a single PES header
and passes the data to the av7710.

There is still a problem with MPEG-1 from the analog plugin, because
data is not encapsulated the way vdr expects. As a result data passed
to StillPicture() is not frame-aligned. This does not work.

Oliver