[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:13:52 +0200, Steffen Barszus <st_barszus@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hmm I have some problems with ext3 here. I suppose its the writing of
> the journal. I get full speed at copy in the beginning and after an
> amount of time the speed breaks down and after that it speeds up again.

The problem may not be the filesystem but the buffer cache handling. For
consistent tests you have to write files that are at least twice as
large as main memory. I got 40+ MB/s with ext3 and xfs. This is
certainly enough even for my server with 4 DVB cards.

> Very annoying. I want to test XFS later and see if it is better. Reiser
> is Ok for small files and a lot of them, but i don' have a lot of small
> files with vdr and i had some bad experiences with an older version of
> reiser. The only problem i may have with XFS could be compatibility...
> (could there be any backdraws in that direction ?)

I see no compatibility problems. But, have a look at file
creation/deletion speed. Reiserfs does about 10.000/s, ext3 about
1.000/s and XFS only about 100-200/s here.

For additional safety I use several partitions and temporary and
permanent recordings are kept separated as much as possible. I also make
sure that all files of one recording are kept together on one partition.
This all keeps losses through disasters to a minimum.

Emil