[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

Am Son, 2003-09-07 um 11.23 schrieb Emil Naepflein:

> I see no compatibility problems. But, have a look at file
> creation/deletion speed. Reiserfs does about 10.000/s, ext3 about
> 1.000/s and XFS only about 100-200/s here.
>
> For additional safety I use several partitions and temporary and
> permanent recordings are kept separated as much as possible. I also make
> sure that all files of one recording are kept together on one partition.
> This all keeps losses through disasters to a minimum.

I think XFS will only be interesting if your software uses the specific
ioctl-calls of XFS (XFS mainly has been designed for data-base servers.
The assumption at design was that the data-base should access the
file-sytem directly with special calls to gain speed).

--
Rene Bartsch

Facsimile/Phone: +49 7 00/72 27 87 24
Mail:  rene@bartschnet.de