[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.0.2 plugin

Hi,

Simeon Walker wrote:

Occasionally I saw a strange reduction in the frame rate to what
looked like a couple of frames per second. It seemed to go back
to normal after a while or when I changed channels.
This is really an issue of xine. From time to time, a buffer underrun happens, especially when switching channels, because xine plays the new stream as continuation of the previous stream.

Occationally, xine tries to skip some frames as they have old timestamps (timestamps are not unique across channels), but as the stream is broadcast at a fixed rate, the input buffer runs empty and xine stops a few moments to have the buffer filled again. But when it continues playing, it detects old timestamps and we are back again at the beginning of this paragraph.

There has been a discussion on xine ML to improve xine's live stream playback, because the above mentioned method works only for media like DVD.

Since release 0.0.2, I pause for about 0.5 seconds on a channel switch to realize a little buffer, and it works a lot better than in release 0.0.1. Other software or even set top boxes pause about 2 seconds to have a large buffer, but that's not what I like.

I have to figure out how to use Xine on the FB or DirectFB
effectively - I had it running on the FB by having Xvfb running
so that Xine didn't complain about having no display for its GUI!
Even then text on the console would be appearing behind the
picture, very strange!
Have you tried fbxine yet?

Bye.
--